“What are Tumblethumps and what do they have to do with crafting?”
The answer is simple. Tumblethumps are dryer balls which are created using a process of wet felting and needle felting and as you may know, felting is a craft that’s currently growing in popularity. We handcraft every one of our Tumblethumps right here in Scotland using pure Shetland wool.
Whilst dryer balls may not seem to be particularly creative on the face of it, there isn’t actually any reason not to turn such a functional item into a decorative one too. In much the same way that a humble hand towel is often embroidered or cross stitched, making it pleasing to our eyes as well as of practical use, wool dryer balls can have any design felted onto it that your mind can think up. 🙂 And once you have decorated them, they can make lovely, safe, soft toys for kids and pets alike to play with! How’s that for versatile?
“Why haven’t I heard of them before?”
Using wool dryer balls in the tumble dryer seems to be a largely new concept in the UK compared to the USA so we’re on a bit of a mission to spread the word.
So what do these wool dryer balls do?
- They reduce static, replacing the need for chemical filled dryer sheets and fabric conditioners
- They reduce drying time in the tumble dryer and as a result also reduce your energy bill
- They’re 100% natural so unless you have a wool allergy, they’re great for people with sensitive skin
- As they contain no added ingredients, there’s nothing to coat the fibres in your clothing which would reduce absorption. This makes them absolutely fantastic for cloth nappies/diapers and bath towels.
- Wool has anti bacterial properties
- Wool is completely biodegradable
- They last several years, removing any ongoing outlay on dryer sheets and fabric conditioner
- Unlike plastic dryer balls, your Tumblethumps won’t damage delicate fabrics
- They can be scented (and re-scented!) using essential oils
Wool is the only ingredient in Tumblethumps which means you know exactly what you’re buying. They’re kind to your skin, your pocket and the environment in one easy move. Can’t ask for better than that really, can we?
When I first learned about wool dryer balls, it was from a friend in the US. I was so impressed that I immediately hunted high and low for them all around the UK. Needless to say, I couldn’t lay my hands on them at all and the ones I did eventually find were ridiculously priced and imported from the US. That seemed like madness to me when we have such fantastic native wool supplies. Hence, Tumblethumps was born… along with a determination to introduce everyone I could to such a superbly simple step towards sustainable living. It might be a small step in changing the way we live but it all adds up to big change.
Have you tried Tumblethumps wool tumble dryer balls yourself? Perhaps you’ve tried another brand or have made your own or tried decorating some as a gift? Drop us a comment and tell us of your experience and don’t forget to share so we can spread the word!